Friday 26 July 2019

Essay on COCHIN (Kochi )


My dear Kochi,
How deep I am in love with you, my dear Kochi!  Perhaps you don’t know. When I came  to the Broadway last year, on the rainy morning of Thursday, in the month of April 1st week of 2018, it was after many long years that I had come to you  again in search of your love, compassion and shelter. Like a mad man I wandered through your streets buying some vegetables and  fish and greedily walked through many bye lanes like a curious naughty boy,  munching fried ground nuts, enjoying the beauty of you playing with  your eternal lover Arabian sea. The waves of the backwaters shine brightly like chips in the sunlight. Now one year is passed by and I am still with you like a child sticking strongly to  its mother who is very fond of the infant.
 Today when I was sitting alone at the balcony window contemplating, all of a sudden heavy rain and violent wind lashed out into my room and I was thrilled with joy. The music of rain and the  orchestra of the Arabian sea wind intoxicated me. I looked out and saw the skyscrapers, the coconut trees, green carpeted meadows of Kochi, my  queen bathing in the shower, and rain drops fell again and again on every skyscraper, every coconut tree, every canal and road. I was wet  with the shower drops as if it had rained from heaven. When my neighboring Tamil Nadu and its capital Chennai are struggling with thirsty dry lips and beg for a pot  of water, my Kochi is blessed with rain and wind.
 Last night I woke up hearing the whistling music of the Arabian wind and opened the window, sitting on the chair I intently  pricked my ears to the music of  the  wind to his  lover Kochi. People said that you are  the queen of the Arabian Sea, but I found  that you are eternal lovers. Throughout the night the sea is singing beautiful songs to Kochi,  to please his lady love, and  by wee hours they are separated only to be  reunited next night. I hear the sobbing of both  of them and I closed my eyes because I am sad to witness their separation!
 My dear couple, you are immortal, while we mortals waste our precious lives in petty qurrels and dirty gossips and grabbing others  properties. Our absurdities and greediness destroy nature and human happiness. I notice, how every night, the Arabian sea wind tiptoed into our apartments singing songs to please our Queen Kochi and we are proud of this regular nocturnal meetings of the couple, so young, so  beautiful and so mirthful. You don’t feel any saturation in your  love life, but we human  beings are easily fall victims of ennui and saturation. My wife has gone home celebrate holidays with her son and dear ones,  and I am sad and lonely here.
 I am not  envious of you, but I share your happiness,  my dear Kochi and your eternal lover, the Arabian sea wind. We mortals die and join the earth, but you continue to make love for each other every night for ever.  I wish both of you all success in your eternal married life.                                                                                                                                                                                                    Kjt/-           22-06-2019

No comments:

Post a Comment